Michael LaForge joined Sobel & Co. in 1980 and has been a Member of the Firm since 1987. During his tenure he has served as the Member in Charge of the firm's Nonprofit and Social Services Group, the Employee Benefit Plan Practice Group and was the Member in Charge of Audit and Accounting at Sobel & Co. Along with his other responsibilities, Mike is currently serving as the Member in Charge of the Manufacturing/Distribution and Retail Practices where he can draw on all his strengths.
Mike has applied his thirty-five plus years of professional experience across a wide range of industries including non-profit, school districts, construction, real estate and professional organizations. Currently Mike continues to provide strategic business and tax planning focusing primarily on manufacturing and distribution clients operating both domestically and internationally. He has served closely held businesses' his entire career and uses his experience to assist families with business planning, transition and estate issues.
In addition to providing audit and accounting services to businesses, he has considerable experience in assisting clients plan and executes mergers and acquisitions, recapitalizations and refinancing. As a former internal auditor with a Fortune 500 Company, Mike has assisted clients in adopting and implementing best operational and financial reporting practices and developing internal control structures appropriate for their particular enterprise.
Credentials and Professional Associations
- Certified Public Accountant in New Jersey and New York
- Member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Member of New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants (NJSCPA)
- Served on the Quality Control and Financial Institution Committees at the NJSCPA
- Appointed to serve on the Quality Review Executive Committee
- Served as the Vice-Chair of the Allinial Global North American Network's Manufacturing and Distribution Committee
- Chartered Global Management Accountant
- Former Boardmember YMCA of Fanwood and Scotch Plains
- Finance Committee of St. Bartholomew the Apostle Church
- Volunteer Accountant for Various Parishes
- Honored by Dress for Success in 2015 at their Annual Gala
Seton Hall University - Bachelor of Science Degree